Manchester United are not yet ready to admit defeat in their bid to sign Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund, but are already considering alternative targets. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had made a deal for the England international winger his No.1 focus this summer, but the Bundesliga club are refusing to be railroaded into sanctioning the departure of their prize asset.
Dortmund’s sporting director came out fighting on Monday as Sancho joined up with his team-mates for a pre-season training camp in Switzerland after United failed to agree a deal for the 20-year-old before a reported deadline of August 10. ‘We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season,’ Zorc told reporters at the team’s training camp on Monday afternoon. ‘The decision is final. I think that answers all of the questions.’
Zorc also revealed that Dortmund had extended Sancho’s contract by another year last summer.
‘Last summer, we adjusted Jadon’s salary to match the development of his performances,’ he said. ‘So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then.’
While United could yet move for Sancho later this summer, ESPN reports that the Europa League semi finalists could turn their attention to Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembele.
The France international has endured a turbulent three-years in Spain with a succession of injuries and disciplinary breeches undermining his efforts to cement a regular first team spot.
Indeed, the 23-year-old hasn’t played since November and underwent hamstring surgery in February. The France international is not part of the Barcelona squad which flew to Lisbon for the latter stages of the Champions League.
Despite his career being in a state of flux, the report claims the winger, who was ironically replaced by Sancho at Dortmund, would need to be convinced over the merits of a move to Old Trafford, but informal talks have already taken place.
Solskjaer remains keen to add a genuine winger to his squad, despite the stellar seasons Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford have enjoyed. The likes of Bayern Munich’s Kingsley Coman and Juve’s Douglas Costa are also said to be on United’s radar.